EI for the Self-Employed

EI for the Self-Employed

Postby CLS » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:00 pm

As of January 1, 2011, self-employed persons can access Employment Insurance special benefits such as maternity, parental, sickness, and compassionate care benefits. As explained on the Service Canada website at: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/whatsnew.shtml.

"Employment Insurance Special Benefits for Self-Employed People

Beginning in January 2011, self-employed Canadians will be able to access Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits. There are four types of EI special benefits:

* maternity benefits;
* parental benefits;
* sickness benefits; and
* compassionate care benefits.

Currently, if you are a self-employed person in Quebec, you are already entitled to apply for maternity, paternity, and parental benefits through the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan. If you choose to participate in the EI program, you will be eligible to apply for EI sickness and compassionate care benefits.
Eligibility information

You can enter into an agreement, or register, with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission through Service Canada if you:

* operate your own business, or if you work for a corporation but cannot access EI benefits because you control more than 40% of the corporation’s voting shares; and
* are either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.

Please read through the detailed eligibility criteria for more information.

To help you determine if these EI special benefits are right for you, see the examples of individual situations.
Application information

There are a few steps to take before being able to receive EI special benefits for self-employed people: You have to register with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission, complete a one-time 12-month waiting period (unless you registered on or before April 1, 2010), and finally, apply for EI special benefits and meet the eligibility criteria. More details are available on the Application information page.
Dates and deadlines

* You can register to participate in the EI program through My Service Canada Account at any time.
* As stated above, you will have to wait 12 months from the date of confirmed registration before you will be able to apply for EI special benefits.

Additional information

Service Canada, on behalf of the Government of Canada, is pleased to be able to offer EI special benefits to self-employed people. As with any important contractual document, be sure to read through the information provided about this new EI benefits offering before registering and accepting all the terms and conditions."

Please see the Service Canada website for more detailed information.

Kathryn M. Bullon
Associate Legal Education Coordinator,
Community Law School
Kathryn M. Bullon, B.Sc., J.D., M.Ad.Ed.
Legal Education Co-Coordinator
Community Law School
CLS
Site Admin

Re: EI for the Self-Employed

Postby dot » Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 pm

I have been talking to some self-employed business men who are just scraping by. Apparently with this they have paid into the E. I. and come winter, they say if they apply for E. I. they are refused, so they have decided not to sign up for this as it is only a chosen few who can access it.
dot

Postby CLS » Tue May 31, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Dot,

I do not know the circumstances of the people you mention, but it is important to note that (a) there is a 12-month waiting period before one is eligible for benefits, and (b) this program covers only special benefits (maternity, parental, sickness, and compassionate care) and not regular benefits.

Kathryn M. Bullon
Associate Legal Education Coordinator,
Community Law School
Community Law School
CLS
Site Admin

Postby alrawassam » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello,

I think, 12 months waiting, will make this type of benefit fruitless, specially for these whom their businesses are not that fruitful. Just a thought.
Samir R.
alrawassam

Postby CLS » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:10 pm

The 12-month waiting period is from the time you register to enrol in the program and begin making your EI contributions as a self-employed person, not from the date you apply to receive benefits.
Community Law School
CLS
Site Admin

Return to Employment Insurance Act