New member joining discussion board from Community Advocacy

New member joining discussion board from Community Advocacy

Postby pso5bah » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 am

I am working on my first of many Community Advocacy courses and the manual suggests participating in the discussion board by posting what type of advocacy I want to pursue. My passion is to help the marginalized and poor in the Sarnia Lambton community so I have joined Circles, Habitat for Humanity and Victim Services as a volunteer to put myside out in the community. I recently graduated from the Social Service Program at Lambton College and have a desire to work in the employment sector or case management social service field. I would like to create a resource book for this area as a tool to use when required to assist individuals in needs. If anyone has any thoughts or inputs of how they did a resource book, that would be great, thank you.
pso5bah

Re: New member joining discussion board from Community Advoc

Postby dot » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:11 am

I have a Resource Book that I have compiled and it is big enough for my purse. It has different sections and some are overlapping.It is available to me at all times if I meet someone who needs an address or other information. I am adding to it on a constant basis as I meet people also who have additional information. I also have this information saved on my computer in case I lose my purse. Happy Trails!
dot

Re: New member joining discussion board from Community Advoc

Postby taramc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi, my name is Tara and am joining the Community Law Bulletin Board also. I am taking the first of, more to come I hope, courses in the Community Advocacy course. I am a direct support (outreach) worker for two separate agencies - 1 working from a harm reduction approach and supporting a marginalized population and the other working directly front line with harm reduction techniques. My background in education includes various on line forms of learning such as York University. I am hoping to learn more about advocacy techniques and information about the barriers and gaps that people face and how to work through them. I am also hoping to fill in the gaps and barriers that I have not formally learnt about in school to assist in both my job and future. I am really excited to be doing this course!
Tara
taramc

Re: Existing Member Continuous Learning

Postby dot » Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 am

I am in the Barrie, Orillia, area at present, it is also important I find to keep resources from other areas as well. People have a tendency to move around. I keep a bigger book at home with any numbers from other areas as contacts. Keeping our files in alphabetical order and colour codes makes it easy to find information quickly. Canadians go where the work is and that could be anywhere in Canada or other parts of the world. A world resource book is a big project. Start small and add on. Contacts are very important and a great relief when you know who to contact and where to find those people. I have names and contacts from people since I was ten years old. Some people never move either. Good Luck Barb. and whoever else might decide to be a Community Advocate will also be a Family Advocate!
dot

Return to General Announcements